Student allegedly assaulted during Nawaka 7s laid to rest
April 26, 2019 5:20 pm
A 16-year-old student of Ratu Navula College who died last Saturday after he was allegedly assaulted was laid to rest today.
Family and friends gathered in Navakai village this morning to say their final goodbyes to Mosese Kubunavanua – who succumbed to head injuries after he was allegedly assaulted in Nadi last month during the Nawaka 7s tournament.
Mosese’s father Kavekini Varo says they’re calling on the relevant authorities to give them answers as it’s almost a month now and there has been no action taken on the student who allegedly assaulted his son.
Varo says Mosese was watching the Nawaka 7s last month in Nadi when suddenly he was allegedly punched.
This resulted in him falling and a steel rod hitting his head.
Varo says a few days later his son fell sick and was taken to the hospital.
He says his son’s condition deteriorated which resulted in his death.
The victim’s father says his son had lodged the complaint with Police when he was still alive and since then nothing has been done.
Varo also says that what he is going through, he doesn’t want any other parent to face.
Mosese was also described as a kind and well behaved boy who had dreams of representing Fiji in 7s or 15s.
Meanwhile, Police are investigating the death of the 16-year-old student.
Spokesperson, Ana Naisoro confirms the incident happened on March 16th during the Nawaka 7’s at Prince Charles Park.
Its alleged Mosese Kubunavanua was assaulted by another student and sustained serious injuries.