Boston bomber Tsarnaev apologises to victims in court
June 24, 2015 6:15 pm
Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has apologised to his victims in court at a hearing where he was formally sentenced to death.
“I am sorry for the lives I have taken, for the suffering that I have caused you, for the damage I have done, irreparable damage,” he said.
Earlier, he remained impassive as victims lined up in court to condemn his “cowardly” actions.
Tsarnaev and his brother killed four and injured 264 in the bombings.
They planted bombs at the finish line of the Boston Marathon in April 2013.
His older brother later died and Tsarnaev was sentenced to death last month but he was formally sentenced by the judge on Wednesday.
n his first statements since the start of the trial, the 21-year-old said he listened to all the victims’ testimony and noted survivors’ strength, patience and dignity.
He thanked Allah and his lawyers.
During the trial, victims could only discuss the facts of the case, so this was the first opportunity for them to make public their feelings.
Ed Fucarile, the father of Marc, who lost his right leg, said: "The first time I saw you in this courtroom, you were smirking at all the victims for your unspeakable cowardly act. You don’t seem to be smirking today.’’
The sister of a police officer killed by the brothers after the bombings, called Tsarnaev a “leech”.
Jennifer Rogers said he was a “leech abusing the privilege of American freedom” and he had spat in the “face of the American dream”.