Residents raise concerns on toxic smoke
January 31, 2019 7:21 am
Concerns have been raised by residents living along Reservoir Road in Suva regarding a toxic smell that’s been affecting them for the past few weeks.
FBC News understands the smell is a result of a substance alleged to be coal tar being burnt at a yard owned by the Fulton Hogan.
Environment Minister Dr. Mahendra Reddy reveals that he had already instructed Fulton Hogan to cease the burning of anything in the residential area.
“We had given a stop-work notice, so we did, the Director of Environment did receive complaints. Their officers went down to do their investigation on what basis that started the work. In fact, there was a breach, they are not supposed to, and we had given a stop-work notice because it is within 500 meters of the community.”
Fulton Hogan denied the talks of the burning of coal tar adding they only burn gravel and there’s no such odor.
However, Reservoir Resident Johnny Tuikaitoga says during the night, they can hear people burning coal tar.
Tuikaitoga says the substance has a really strong toxic smell, affecting the elderly and making them sick.
Meanwhile, Dr. Reddy confirms that he met with his Permanent Secretary and Director for Environment a few weeks ago and informed Fulton Hogan to cease such activity.