Nadi murder accused denied bail
September 16, 2019 4:55 pm
New Zealand resident Muhammad Raheesh Isoof who appeared in the Magistrate’s Court in Nadi this afternoon charged with the alleged murder of a Nadi family has been denied bail.
Isoof who appeared before Nirosha Kannangara is charged with 5 counts of murder and 1 count of attempted murder.
It’s alleged that on the 25th and 26th of last month, Isoof murdered carpenter, Nirmal Kumar, his 54-year-old wife Usha Devi, their 34-year-old daughter, Nileshni Kajal and her two daughters Sana aged, 11, and Samara, 8.
Police Prosecutor Inspector Pramesh Chand while objecting to bail stated that Isoof is a flight risk as he is a permanent resident of New Zealand, the case is of public interest, a severe penalty will be incurred if Isoof is found guilty and the likelihood of the accused interfering with the witnesses.
Inspector Chand also says that the strength of the Prosecution case is linked evidence and the aggravating factor is that he breached the trust of the family who was the accused’s neighbour.
The Prosecution also stated in court that the accused had tried to flee the country when investigation had started. Inspector Chand says there is a certain degree of planning by the accused to which he succeeded in.
Isoof’s lawyer Iqbal Khan while responding to the Prosecution stated that the only way to remedy these points raised was to have his client under strict bail conditions.
Khan also argued that his client has denied the allegations and there are also no witnesses.
He also highlighted that his client is the one who had come forward to Police when investigation had begun, to inform them that he had dropped the family at the Nausori Highlands.
Also outside the Nadi court a huge crowd had gathered from 1pm, just before the accused was produced.
Majority of those present were members of the public who had been closely following the case and wanted to see who the accused was.
Amongst the crowd were also the family of the five deceased and emotions ran high for them as the accused was taken away by Police.
Police security was tight at the courthouse today as they wanted to ensure there were no interferences.
The case will be called again next Wednesday at the Lautoka High Court.