Survivor found 60 hours after Shenzhen disaster
Radio New Zealand
December 23, 2015 4:09 pm
A man has been pulled out alive more than 60 hours after being buried when a waste heap collapsed on an industrial estate in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen.
There could be at least one other survivor, according to state media.
The survivor, who was in a coherent state though his legs had been crushed, told the soldiers who rescued him there was another survivor close by.
China’s official Xinhua news agency later said that another body was also discovered, although it was not clear if that was the person to whom the survivor had referred.
More than 70 people were missing in China’s latest industrial disaster, the government has said.
However this figure continued to be revised down as authorities made contact with people who were believed to have been buried but were not.