UK terror threat: 'Up to five' plots stopped in 2014
November 23, 2014 5:04 pm
Four or five terror plots have been stopped this year, the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police has said.
Police have previously prevented on average one plot a year, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe told the BBC.
He said there had been a “change to the frequency and the seriousness” of the plots seen, and there was also “growing concern” over so-called “lone-wolf” attacks that required less planning.
The terror threat level was raised from “substantial” to “severe” in August.
It moved to the second highest of five possible levels in response to conflicts in Iraq and Syria.
Sir Bernard’s comments come on the eve of the launch of a nationwide terrorism awareness campaign.