Trump says he will allow scheduled release of JFK files
October 21, 2017 4:16 pm
Donald Trump has said he plans to allow the opening of a trove of long-classified files on the assassination of former president John F Kennedy.
The president tweeted to say he would allow the release “subject to receipt of further information”.
The files are scheduled to be opened by the US National Archives on 26 October, but the president is entitled to extend their classified status.
Kennedy was shot dead by a sniper in November 1963 in Dallas, Texas.
The National Archives has already released most documents related to the assassination, but a final batch remains under lock and key.
“Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened,” Trump said in a tweet.
Congress ruled in 1992 that all JFK documents be released within 25 years, unless the president decides the release would harm national security.
The archive contains more than 3,000 previously unreleased documents, and more than 30,000 that have been released before but with redactions.