Tourists evacuated after another attack on Vanuatu lodge
Radio New Zealand International
August 11, 2015 6:25 pm
A New Zealand lodge owner and 21 Australian tourists have been evacuated to the Vanuatu capital Port Vila after more attacks on a resort on Tanna.
At least one of the tourists is reported to have been injured after stones were thrown.
The Daily Post reported a fire started in the early hours of Tuesday morning when vehicles were set alight by what appeared to be petrol bombs.
The New Zealander who owns the resort, Hugh Lowe, told the paper staff fought the fire until 5.30am and managed to save some of the buildings.
The first six houses were burnt last month and were reported to be set alight in retaliation for the alleged murder of a young Tannese boy.
Vanuatu’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Tourism, Moana Carcasses, said he would not tolerate people taking the law into their own hands.
He said Australia was Vanuatu’s biggest tourist market and the Government wouldn’t stand by while Australian tourists were harassed.
He said he may send members of the Vanuatu Mobile Force to Tanna to arrest the perpetrators.