S Korea 'will see more Mers cases'
June 13, 2015 6:26 pm
South Korea’s outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome is “large and complex” and more cases are expected, World Health Organization experts say.
But while it was premature to declare the outbreak over, the WHO said it had “found no evidence” of the Mers virus spreading wider in the community.
About 140 people have been infected since the start of the outbreak last month. Fourteen are known to have died.
Experts also urged the South Korean government to stay vigilant.
Speaking in Seoul after a week-long investigation, the WHO’s Keiji Fukuda said: “Because the outbreak has been large and is complex, more cases should be anticipated.”
He added: “At present the mission has found no evidence that there is ongoing transmission within the community.”
All of South Korea’s cases have been linked to health facilities, but the WHO urged the government to continue to maintain strong control measures, thoroughly tracing infected people’s contacts and preventing suspected patients from travelling.