Paris attacks: Two die in hunt for 'mastermind' Abaaoud
November 18, 2015 5:00 pm
A woman has blown herself up and a suspect was shot dead during a police raid on a flat in a Paris suburb, while seven arrests were made.
Police targeted the flat in Saint-Denis in a search for the alleged mastermind of Friday’s gun and bomb attacks in Paris, when 129 people were killed.
The fate of Abdelhamid Abaaoud, previously thought to be in Syria, is still unclear.
A government spokesman said remains of a third body may be under the rubble.
Prosecutor Francois Molins announced earlier that intelligence indicated Abaaoud was in Paris.
All victims of Friday’s attacks – which targeted a concert hall, cafes and the Stade de France stadium and were claimed by the so-called Islamic State (IS) group – have now been identified, the government said.
In other developments
Eagles of Death Metal, the band whose concert was stormed during the attacks, say in their first statement since returning to the US that they are “bonded in grief” with all those affected.
US President Barack Obama condemns the actions of two dozen state governors refusing to resettle Syrian refugees as hysterical and offensive.
IS media publish a photo of what it says was the bomb which downed the Russian airliner over Egypt on 31 October, killing all 224 people aboard.
The French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle leaves the southern port of Toulon for the eastern Mediterranean, to take part in air strikes on IS.
The Royal Navy destroyer HMS Defender will provide air defence cover for the French carrier, UK Defence Secretary Michael Fallon confirms.
The operation in Saint-Denis – where the Stade de France is located.
Speaking from the scene afterwards, Mr Molins said it had been ordered after phone taps and surveillance operations suggested Abaaoud, a Belgian of Moroccan descent, could be there.