Manhunt for Paris attack suspect
Radio New Zealand International
November 15, 2015 5:10 pm
French police have put out an appeal for witnesses in the search for a Belgium-born man suspected of involvement in the Paris terror attacks.
Islamic State has claimed responsibility for Friday night’s attacks which killed 129 people and injured 352, with 99 people in a critical condition.
The attackers opened fire and used explosive devices at seven locations across Paris, including a concert hall, restaurants, bars and outside a stadium.
France’s Police Nationale has issued an appeal for witnesses as the search for Abdeslam Salah, who the called dangerous and said should not be approached.
The first of the seven dead attackers was earlier named as Ismail Mostefai. Six people close to him are in custody. Two attackers were French nationals living in Belgium, prosecutors said.
Mostefai was reportedly identified after investigators found a severed finger at the scene of the worst atrocity, the Bataclan concert hall.
He came from the town of Courcouronnes, south of Paris, and had lived in the city of Chartres 100km (60 miles) south-west of Paris until 2012 and had regularly attended a mosque there.
French judicial sources said several Kalashnikovs had been found in an abandoned car believed to have been used by some of the Paris attackers.
The black Seat car was found in the eastern Paris suburb of Montreuil on Sunday, suggesting some of the attackers got away.
The car was believed to have been used by gunmen who opened fire on people in restaurants on Friday, police say.
Several AK47 rifles were found in the car, French media quote judicial sources as saying.
The Seat and another car used in the attacks – a Volkswagen Polo – were rented in Belgium. The black VW was found near the Bataclan concert venue, where nearly 90 people were killed.