Home

Headlines Weather Search

News

Sports

Business

World

Radio

Radio Fiji One Mirchi FM Gold FM Bula FM 2Day FM Radio Fiji Two

TV

FBC TV FBC Sports FBC 2
2019 Flying Fijians RWC Squad
1
Campese Ma'afu
LH Prop
2
Eroni Mawi
LH Prop
3
Peni Ravai
LH Prop
4
Mesulame Dolokoto
Hooker
5
Samuel Matavesi
Hooker
6
Ratu Vere Vugakoto
Hooker
7
Leeroy Atalifo
TH Prop
8
Manasa Saulo
TH Prop
9
Kalivati Tawake
TH Prop
10
Tevita Cavubati
Lock
11
Leone Nakarawa
Lock
12
Api Ratuniyarawa
Lock
13
Tevita Ratuva
Backrow
14
Semi Kunatani
Backrow
15
Viliame Mata
Backrow
16
Mosese Voka
Backrow
17
Dominiko Waqaniburotu
Backrow
18
Peceli Yato
Backrow
19
Frank Lomani
Halfback
20
Nikola Matawalu
Halfback
21
Henry Seniloli
Halfback
22
Levani Botia
Inside Back
23
Jale Vatubua
Inside Back
24
Ben Volavola
Inside Back
25
Vereniki Goneva
Outside Back
26
Filipo Nakosi
Outside Back
27
Waisea Nayacalevu
Outside Back
28
Semi Radradra
Outside Back
29
Josua Tuisova
Outside Back
30
Joshua Matavesi
Utility Back
31
Alivereti Veitokani
Utility Back
32
Kini Murimurivalu
Fullback

World

Foreign officials question Saudi death toll

September 29, 2015 6:05 pm

Indian, Pakistani and Indonesian officials have been quoted as saying they think more than 1000 died in the crush during the annual Hajj pilgrimage.

And a Nigerian official told the BBC 1000 bodies of victims had been taken to morgues in the city of Jeddah.

The Saudi authorities say 769 died in the crush and insist the higher figure is for all deaths at this year’s Hajj.

Article continues after advertisement

Indian Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted that Saudi authorities had released photos of 1090 pilgrims who died.

Pakistani and Indonesian officials have also indicated that they have been sent more than 1000 such images.

A Saudi interior minister spokesman told AP that this number included 109 people who died at the Grand Mosque when a crane collapsed on 11 September and all other deaths at this year’s pilgrimage, some of them from natural causes.

A Nigerian Hajj official from Kano, Abba Yakubu, said he had been to Jeddah, where the dead from Thursday’s crush are being processed.

Mr Yakubu said that in total, 14 lorries carrying bodies were brought to the city. He added that so far 1,075 bodies had been offloaded from 10 lorries and taken into the morgues. Four lorries had yet to be dealt with, he said.

Several countries have been severely critical of the way the Saudi authorities have handled the accident’s aftermath, notably Saudi Arabia’s regional rival Iran, which lost at least 228 people in the disaster.

Thursday’s stampede was the deadliest incident to hit the Hajj in 25 years.
The crush occurred on Thursday morning as two large groups of pilgrims converged at right angles as they took part in the Hajj’s last major rite – stone-throwing at pillars called Jamarat, where Satan is believed to have tempted the Prophet Abraham.

As well as the fatalities, 934 people were injured.

Saudi Arabia’s most senior cleric, Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul Aziz bin-Abdullah al-Sheikh, has defended the authorities, saying the stampede was “beyond human control”.

King Salman has ordered a safety review into the disaster.

Keep Connected With The Latest News, Weather, And Sports on Fiji's Best Radio stations.

Live Tune In
  • 95.4 FM
  • Suva, Nadi, Lautoka, Labasa
  • 95.2 FM
  • Sigatoka, Ba
  • 95.6 FM
  • Tavua
  • 95.8 FM
  • Rakiraki
Live Tune In
  • 102.6 FM
  • Suva, Nadi, Lautoka, Labasa
  • 102.4 FM
  • Sigatoka, Ba
  • 102.8 FM
  • Tavua
  • 103.0 FM
  • Rakiraki
Live Tune In
  • 97.8 FM
  • Suva, Nadi, Lautoka, Labasa
  • 97.6 FM
  • Sigatoka, Ba
  • 98.0 FM
  • Tavua
  • 98.2 FM
  • Rakiraki
Live Tune In
  • 93.0 FM
  • Suva, Nadi, Lautoka, Labasa
  • 92.8 FM
  • Sigatoka, Ba
  • 93.2 FM
  • Tavua
  • 93.4 FM
  • Rakiraki
Live Tune In
  • 100.2 FM
  • Suva, Nadi, Lautoka, Labasa
  • 100.0 FM
  • Sigatoka, Ba
  • 100.4 FM
  • Tavua
  • 100.6 FM
  • Rakiraki
Live Tune In
  • 105.0 FM
  • Suva, Nadi, Lautoka, Labasa
  • 104.8 FM
  • Sigatoka, Ba
  • 105.2 FM
  • Tavua
  • 105.4 FM
  • Rakiraki