FBI nominee Christopher Wray says Russia probe not witch hunt
July 12, 2017 5:18 pm
Donald Trump’s pick to lead the FBI has rejected the president’s depiction of a probe into alleged Russian meddling in the US election as a witch hunt.
“I do not consider Director Mueller to be on a witch hunt,” Christopher Wray said about the former FBI director who is leading the special investigation.
Mr Wray, 50, also told a Senate hearing he would quit if the president asked him to do anything illegal.
The last FBI director, James Comey, was fired by the US president on 9 May.
The US president earlier on Wednesday tweeted: “This is the greatest Witch Hunt in political history. Sad!”
Mr Wray told the Senate panel on Wednesday: "Anybody who thinks that I would be pulling punches as FBI director sure doesn’t know me well.
“I will never allow the FBI’s work to be driven by anything other than the facts, the law, and the impartial pursuit of justice. Period.”
The nominee said he was “very committed to supporting” the work of special counsel Robert Mueller.
Mr Mueller, who was described by Mr Wray as “a straight shooter”, is a former FBI director who is now leading the special inquiry into alleged Russian attempts to influence the 2016 US presidential election.