Typhoid outbreak last year claimed one life: Dr Waqainabete
February 12, 2019 7:28 am
The Health Ministry confirms the typhoid outbreak in Naitasiri and Navosa in September last year claimed one life.
Health Minister Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete says there were fifty-three cases in Naitasiri while Namosi had twenty-two cases.
Dr Waqainabete says their sub-divisional outbreak team has been working with provincial councils.
“In December 2018 the Ministry of Health officials have had engaged discussions with provincial councils and members of both Namosi and Naitasiri community involving the police department on strategies to strengthen to measures to prevent the spread of typhoid.”
Opposition MP Viliame Gavoka questioned the Health Minister on what his Ministry is doing to improve the ratio between the population and toilets in Fiji.
The Health Minister informed the parliament that they provided sanitation facilities for the villagers in addition to raising awareness on how to deal with the outbreak.
“In Nabaitavo village last week there were seven new toilets that we the Government of Fiji, the Fiji first government helped provide for these members of our community.”
Dr Waqainabete says they need a collective effort in the prevention of dengue, typhoid, leptospirosis, other vector borne diseases and non-communicable diseases.