Tropical Cyclone Alert
April 1, 2012 3:52 am
A tropical cyclone alert has been issued by DISMAC.
A statement from DISMAC says that at 12noon today, a tropical depression was located about 1200 kilometers West-Northwest of Nadi.
The depression is moving Southeast at about 25 kilometers/hour and is expected to intensify further and possibly become a Tropical Cyclone in the next 24 to 36 hours.
Mariners are advised that a strong wind warning is now in force for all Fiji waters.
DISMAC Director Pajiliai Dobui is advising the public to continue listening to the radio and note the developments in the weather condition, and make the necessary preparations should the depression develop into a cyclone status.
Some Cyclone Preparedness Tips released by DISMAC are:
– Listen to the radio for further information
– Ensure safety of family members
– Store important documents only and valuable in a plastic bag: Prepare the “GO BAG” or disaster kit
– Fill water containers and fuel car
– Batten down houses; put up shutters; and secure doors and windows
– Ensure that all members of the family are present
– If your house is not structurally safe or is located within a flood prone area, prepare to move to the nearest evacuation centre
The general public are forewarned to closely monitor the current situation and keep listening to the radio for further development.