Terminated beneficiaries can re-apply
May 2, 2013 1:02 am
The Social Welfare Ministry has confirmed that its Family Assistance recipients who may not be qualified under the new scheme can re-apply for the assistance.
Director – Social Welfare – Rupeni Fatiaki says while the Ministry is still verifying the applications, those whose assistance will be terminated need not to panic, but to seek counsel and reapply.
However, there’s no guarantee that the applications will be accepted.
Fatiaki says all the applications are currently processed under the conditions in the Poverty Benefit Scheme.
Poverty Benefit Scheme is replaces the existing Family Assistance Scheme.
Under this scheme, families will receive government assistance for only three years and they need to agree to a contract that within the three years, the family should be able to find employment for them.
Fatiaki says the Ministry has so far received more than twenty thousand applications.
It’s expected the first payment under the Poverty Benefit Scheme will be made in June.