Remand warrant renewed for 16 charged with sedition
October 8, 2015 1:21 am
Sixteen men and women from Nadroga who are charged with sedition and inciting communal antagonism have had their warrant for remand renewed by the Lautoka High Court today.
The group, which had its application for bail review rejected by the court on the 25th of September, had to appear today for the renewal of the remand warrant which lasts 14 days.
Justice Thusara Rajasinghe renewed the warrant and adjourned the case to the 13th of October for a voir-dire hearing that will now be heard before trial Judge Justice Paul Madigan.
Meanwhile Defence Lawyer Aman Ravindra Singh informed the court this morning that he will be making an application not to proceed with the voir-dire hearing next week.
Singh told the court that he is being denied meetings with his clients in private.
He said this is despite the court issuing an order for him to do so.
Singh told the court that he went to meet his clients in Naboro earlier this week where a corrections officer was ‘consistently’ present throughout their meetings.
Justice Rajasinghe told Singh he could make the application before trial judge Justice Paul Madigan on the 13th of October.