Police confirms no application received for FTUC protest
April 27, 2019 11:21 am
The Police have confirmed that they have not received any application from the Fiji Trades Union Congress to hold a nationwide protest next week.
According to FTUC they are planning to hold a two day nationwide protest on Friday and one in Nadi on Saturday next week.
However, Police Spokesperson Ana Naisoro confirms they’ve yet to receive a permit application from the union.
According to the Public Order Act any person who wishes to organize or convene a meeting or procession on or in a public park or public road shall first make an application for a permit to the appropriate in writing at least 7 days prior to the date on which the applicant proposes to organize or convene a meeting or procession.
FTUC National Secretary Felix Anthony says they will be going ahead with their nationwide protest next Friday as planned.
He says the key office bearers met earlier this week to deliberate on the national protest preparations and decided to go ahead with two protest marches, in Suva and in Nadi.
Anthony says there are some unions that may need to go on protest earlier than May 3rd as they have received information of massive layoffs.
He says they want to raise their disappointment in relation to six issues which include national minimum wage, delay in labour law reforms, right to strike, Vatukoula strike, unresolved FASA issues and opposing unilateral imposition of individual contracts.
We have sent questions to Anthony which is yet to be answered.
FBC News also questioned Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations, Praveen Kumar on the planned protest, he declined to make any comments.
Stay with us for more on this developing story.