More than 20 people arrested at WAF Lautoka Depot
May 2, 2019 8:00 am
More than 20 people were arrested in Lautoka yesterday for allegedly gathering and refusing to disperse from the WAF Depot.
This has been done after they were advised to by police to disperse peacefully.
Police Commissioner Brigadier General Sitiveni Qiliho says they are currently being questioned at the Lautoka Police Station as investigations continue.
Qiliho says he’s concerned that the union and workers had been misled by news from a fake Facebook page, which led to this impasse.
He says any individual holding a position of leadership needs to be responsible and cautious about the information they choose to disseminate to the media.
The Police Chief adds the initial source of information has been confirmed to be false, a point also acknowledged by Union Executives, and yet they choose to use the false post of the termination of contracts to further their agenda.
The WAF Board Chair has publicly refuted the claims and explained in detail the processes needed to be taken regarding the concerned parties contracts following the completion of one of their projects.
Qiliho is advising people to understand the law and not be tricked into following those with agendas by being part of illegal gatherings and strikes as it could hinder their chances of securing employment.
He is also assuring the public that they will ensure the safety of everyone and will not allow unscrupulous elements to disrupt water supply or operations of WAF by union activists.
This is after concerns were made about possible water disruptions by activists.
He says they are there to maintain law and order under the Public Order Act and his officers have been on high alert to ensure that the situation does not get out of hand.
Qiliho is reminding the public that no strike has been approved and any such action is illegal.