No reports of Fijian casualties in France
November 14, 2015 7:46 pm
There have been no reports of Fijian casualties in the terrorist attacks in Paris, France.
However, Foreign Affairs Minister Ratu Inoke Kubuabola has asked Ambassador to Belgium and Permanent Representative to the European Union Deo Saran to ensure all Fijians living in Paris were accounted for.
Ambassador Saran is currently in Paris for the UNESCO General Conference and assured Minister Kubuabola, he was safe and that he had not received any reports of Fijian casualties.
Fijian Ambassador for Climate Change and Oceans Amena Yauvoli, who was in Paris earlier this week, also assured Minister Kubuabola he was safe after leaving Paris for Beijing, China, on Wednesday.
Ambassador Saran assured Minister Kubuabola that his staff were liaising with all Fijians working in Paris, particularly rugby players, to confirm everyone was safe.
Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama has expressed Fiji’s deepest condolences and unwavering solidarity with the people of France.
In his statement, Bainimarama says every Fijian shares his horror at the terrorist attacks in Paris, which have claimed the lives of at least 120 people.
The Prime Minister adds the nature of these attacks on innocent people are especially horrifying and our hearts go out to the families of those killed, who are in our prayers and our thoughts at this time.
Meanwhile, France’s chief prosecutor says three teams of attackers were involved in the Paris attack in which 129 people were killed and more than 350 wounded.
Friday’s attacks, claimed by Islamic State militants, hit a concert hall, a major stadium, restaurants and bars.