More than $58M spent under CARE: A-G
May 17, 2018 1:47 am
More than fifty eight million dollars has been spent for the Cyclone Assistance Relief Effort (CARE) which was announced by the Government last month.
Attorney General and Minister for Economy Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum says close to two hundred and eighty thousand, five hundred and sixty three Fijians have been assisted under the scheme so far.
“As of 16th May the Government has spent 9.937 million dollars on e-transport care assisting one hundred and eighty eight thousand, nine hundred and seventy eight adults, seventeen thousand eight hundred and twenty one students. $30.592 million on the homes-care assisting twenty five thousand two hundred and thirty three households. $17.23 million on farms care assisting thirty five thousand three hundred and seventy farmers and $1.136 million on welfare care assisting thirteen thousand one hundred and sixty one social welfare recipients.”
Sayed- Khaiyum says teams are going out to various affected areas on a daily basis to receive and process applications under the CARE program.
He says the Government is using the contingency funds set aside as there was no budgetary allocation for CARE initiative in the 2017/2018 national budget.