Man electrocuted due to damaged cable: EFL
March 28, 2019 7:08 am
The Energy Fiji Limited has concluded its investigation whereby a 26-year-old man was electrocuted on Sunday.
The incident happened at Dalip Chand & Sons Ltd Garage in Nasekula, Labasa.
EFL says its preliminary investigation shows the victim was operating a water blaster, when the damaged power cable came into contact with the metal frame of the water blasting machine consequently energizing it.
The victim was in contact with the metal nozzle of the water blaster trigger gun and got electrocuted.
EFL says visual inspection revealed that the insulated sheathing of the power cable of the water blaster was torn with copper strands of the active conductor clearly visible.
The copper strands of the active conductor came into contact with the metal frame of the water blasting machine at the time of the incident which led to the unfortunate demise of the victim.
EFL is cautioning all consumers to ensure they only engage EFL licensed contractors and electricians for their electrical internal wiring requirements.
Customers are also urged to properly check their electrical appliances on a regular basis, for deterioration of its electrical cord or extension cords if being used – to avoid unfortunate mishaps such as this.