Man acquitted of rape charge
February 27, 2018 12:22 am
A man charged with one count of rape has been acquitted by the Suva High court.
Judge Justice Vincent Perera while delivering his judgment said that there were
inconsistencies in the complainant’s evidence.
The assessors returned with unanimous opinion that the man is not guilty of one count of rape and for the alternative count of defilement as well.
The alleged incident occurred on 13th January last year in Nasinu.
The Judge also said that the evidence does not establish the offence of rape and defilement.
The victim was 15 years and 11 months old at the time of the alleged incident and said that the accused had a reasonable cause to believe that she was of or above the age of 16 years.
The court heard that on the day of the alleged incident he had gone to the victim’s house to drink grog.
They later had liquor and he started having conversation with the complainant.
He said that complainant had shown interest in him and denies that he raped her.