Kids swarm PM during visit
April 2, 2012 6:55 am
Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama has ended his visit to flood affected areas for the day and will restart his tour on Tuesday.
Bainimarama started his tour from Sigatoka this morning and ended this in Nadi in the last hour.
Speaking exclusively to FBC News while ago, Bainimarama says there were many sad stories related to him during his tour.
He says it was in times like this that a special group of people were often forgotten about.
This started with a young Indo-Fijian kid hugging Bainimarama as he toured Sigatoka.
“There is a group of people that we tend to forget and those are the little kids. Especially the newly born and I just came out of one evacuation centre and there is four-day-old girl there who was born on the eve of the flooding and they brought her in and she was sleeping like a baby as they say. We forget to bring them into our plans in the evacuation centres and think about things like what type of milk they drink and whether they are drinking clean water and of course diapers. We are trying to organise all these with people running the evacuation centres.”
A number of people contacted FBC News to express their gratitude to the PM after receiving food rations at evacuation centres.
However, Bainimarama says it is not his doing that people were beginning to receive rations.
He says it was a collective effort of all those involved in recovery process.
“I don’t think the food rations have been getting there just because I have been there. It’s just the system that moving in. There were a couple of the roads up in the Sigatoka Valley that were blocked whole of last couple of days and we just happened to make a breakthrough this morning. And as we were coming down a truck from the military was coming up with the ration and I guess that’s what people were talking about. But the rations are now starting to move into evacuation centre and water is starting, the boreholes starting to starting to open and the pumps starting to run. So hopefully this time tomorrow the water and electricity and especially the water will be back and we keeping our fingers crossed.”
Meanwhile, the PM says he is yet to directly receive any word from overseas counterparts wanting to assist his government for recovery.
However, he adds the PM’s Flood Appeal will now remain open for those wanting to contribute.
“No but I think they getting in touch with the DISMAC office and with Permanent Secretary Regional and maybe Ministry of Foreign Affairs but they are organising that side of the house. There has been a request from lot of people especially the private sector to have it extended and even before the floods that came in last week, we had planned to extend it and now it is extended for sure.”