Jone Vakarisi acquitted of arson and assault charges
November 25, 2018 11:38 pm
29-year-old Jone Vakarisi who is alleged to have set fire to a house in Kinoya last year has been acquitted by the Suva High court in the last hour.
The High court Judge agreed with the unanimous opinion of the three assessors and found him not guilty of one count each of arson and assault causing actual bodily harm.
It was alleged Vakarisi had set fire to a house and assaulted a person over a missing dog.
Judge Justice Vincent Perera said that the first prosecution witness was not credible.
The first witness had testified that he knew Vakarisi since 2004 as they used to work together.
However, the Judge noted that during that time Vakarisi was in Year 10.
Justice Perera also said that incident occurred as a result of instigation by an issue however there was no mention of the missing dog in the police statement by the first witness.