MOH aims to complete immunization by Christmas
December 14, 2019 4:30 pm
Efforts are being made to ensure that every Fijian is vaccinated.
The Ministry of Health says more than 200,000 Fijians have been vaccinated since the outbreak last month and they hope to complete the immunization program by Christmas.
Head of Health Protection Dr Aalisha Sahukhan says the national campaign will continue to target people who are most at risk of being infected by measles.
“We aim to leave no one behind. We aim to make sure that everybody who is in our target group gets access to the vaccine and this is something which is done by our nurses in the subdivisions every day in responding to cases of measles”
Two more new cases of measles have been confirmed and there are now 21 cases of measles in the country.
The latest confirmed cases are a 13-year-old from Nasilai Village in Nakelo, Rewa and a 27-year-old from Saumakia Village in Naitasiri.
The Health Ministry says the two have been in contact with previously confirmed measles cases in those villages.
The Rewa and Naitasiri outbreak response teams have carried out the necessary interventions including isolation of cases, quarantine and vaccination of contacts and at risk communities.
The immunization program started in the Western and Eastern Divisions yesterday and it will start in the Northern division from Monday.