Government allocates $16 million dollars for cane replanting program
February 16, 2018 1:18 am
Sixteen million dollars has been set aside by the government for the continuation of the cane replanting program this year.
Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama made this announcement while speaking to farmers in Ba yesterday.
Bainimarama says the new initiative will help boost sugar production for 2018.
With reports of many idle land in the western division, Bainimarama urged farmers to make use of this initiative to plant more cane.
“So I encouraged all of you to take advantage of this grant to plant more cane, my government introduce the fertilizer subsidies in 2009 and in the last budget we made that subsidy even more generous lowering the price payed by our farmers to only $20 a bag from what it was before and we have seen the fertilizer sale increase, so keep taking advantage of this subsidy.”
The program has enabled the planting of 5,671 hectares of cane last year compared to 3,900 hectares in 2016.
Bainimarama says farmers need to consult government for any matters pertaining to the Sugar Industry.
The Prime Minister says they will do everything they can to improve the industry.