Fire destroys home in Lautoka
May 10, 2013 5:37 am
A Lautoka family is in a state of shock after a fire destroyed their four bedroom house at Viseisei Backroad this morning.
Victim Rajesh Kumar says, he tried to dose of the flames but the fire was raging and had spread quickly.
Kumar says, his family managed to escape the blaze.
Kumar who is unemployed says, this is the second time their house has been burned down, in 1995 his house was destroyed in a fire which also claimed the life of his child.
The National Fire Authority says preliminary investigations reveal, the fire could have been caused by a kerosene lantern which accidently fell on a mattress.
Chief Executive John O’Connor says these are common causes of fire and simple measures can be taken to avoid such incidents from happening.
The family of six is now asking for help to try and rebuild their lives.