Extensive research carried out on ban of paraquat and imidacloprid
October 14, 2019 6:40 am
The Agriculture Ministry says they will ensure that there is no importation and sale of paraquat and imidacloprid from next year.
Following a review of the harmful effects of pesticides on human health and the environment, the government has decided to ban the use of paraquat and imidacloprid from next year.
The ban comes into effect from 1st of January.
Agriculture Minister Dr Mahendra Reddy the sale of paraquat had been a concern for several years and the decision to ban this was taken following an extensive research.
“No importation, no sale, no use of imidacloprid because we want to thank the bee keepers association for bringing this matter up to us. And we are looking forward to informing customs that 1st of January there will be no more importation and of course no more sale.”
A Nausori farmer, Alpana Narayan has welcomed the ban.
“Its a very good initiative and a very good start. Now people will know how to go into organic farming and the harmful effects that over the years acquired because of this dangerous chemical.”
Dr Reddy says farmers can use alternative chemicals that are already in the market.