Headlines Weather Search






Radio Fiji One Mirchi FM Gold FM Bula FM 2Day FM Radio Fiji Two




John Nikolic was hospitalized after drugs were discovered: Witness

January 30, 2019 4:56 pm
Yvette and John Nikolic are alleged to have unlawfully imported illicit drugs, arms, and ammunition in Denarau

Fourth state witness in the drug case involving an Australian couple told the court that accused John Nikolic was taken to the hospital as he fainted after the drugs were found on his yacht.

Fiji Revenue and Customs Service, Chief customs officer, Tomasi Drisi told the court that John requested if he could speak with his wife after the drugs, arms, and ammunition and ecstasy tablets were retrieved.

It was also revealed that after the first 10 bars of cocaine were found, John alluded that he was aware of what the officers were looking for and gave them direction to search the yacht for three more bars.

Drisi also told the court that two pistols were found, with live ammunition cash and tablets in a small plastic bag all packed using duct tape.

The court also heard that Nikolic was taken to hospital after falling ill and his crew member Geoffrey Hassle signed the detention letter so that the yacht could be searched.

In cross-examination, the defense put to the court that no fingerprint analysis or DNA test was carried out on the 13 bars of cocaine.

The defense also argued that crew members were not suspected but only the master and his wife were.

Yvette and John Nikolic are alleged to have unlawfully imported illicit drugs, arms, and ammunition in Denarau, Nadi last year.

The two are jointly charged with two counts each of importing an illicit drug with two alternative counts of possessing an illicit drug.

They are also charged with a count each of possessing arms and ammunition without holding an arms license.

The couple was arrested after authorities seized 13 bricks of cocaine weighing 15 kilograms as well as 65 methamphetamine tablets with an estimated value of $30 million from their yacht.

Officials also found $15,000 in undeclared currency, two pistols and 97 rounds of live ammunition on board.
The trial continues tomorrow.