Handyman facing rape charge acquitted
May 15, 2019 12:31 pm
A handyman who was charged with rape has been acquitted by the High court as the prosecution failed to prove its case.
The 38-year-old man who worked at a daycare center in Suva was alleged to have raped a three-year-old girl who attended the center in August last year.
Suva High Court Judge Justice Thushara Rajasinghe while going through the evidence said that the investigation officer had said that the complainant made no identification of the accused during the investigation either in the form of identification parade or photo identification.
The Judge also said according to the victim’s mother she was not sure of the name the complainant was referring to.
Justice Rajasinghe also said that according to the staff attendance sheet the accused had not signed in for work from August 28th to 31st and that he had only signed in for work from August 20th, 24th and 27th.
According to the doctor’s evidence, the bruises were fresh and within two weeks period.
The Judge said that if the court considers the doctor’s opinion that the bruises could have been caused between August 27th and September 5th last year.
Justice Rajasinghe said that there is a reasonable doubt whether the complainant had referred the accused as the person who had committed the offence or was it someone else.
The High court Judge than found the accused not guilty of the charge and acquitted him.