20-year-old man appears in court for alleged rape
February 22, 2019 3:01 pm
A 20-year-old man appeared at the Labasa High Court this morning for allegedly raping a six-year-old boy.
The incident occurred in Savusavu last year
He had earlier pleaded not guilty to the rape charge.
State prosecutors told the court the man is claiming that the 6-year-old was the instigator.
The court was told that in the caution interview, the man claimed that the boy forced him to have sexual intercourse with him.
Judge Justice Daniel Goundar told the court that children under the age of 13 are legally deemed incapable of consenting to sexual activity.
The case has been adjourned to 22nd of March for a pre-trial conference.
His bail has been extended.