Court to deliver ruling on dead man walking case
January 28, 2018 7:03 pm
The Suva High court is expected to deliver a ruling today in relation to a 59-year- old, Jai Narayan who is claiming that he was pronounced dead by a doctor at CWM hospital in Suva in 2013.
Narayan is seeking compensation over the incident which has left him traumatized and unable to go back to the hospital for medical treatment.
A very much alive Narayan appeared in the Suva High Court in November last year claiming he was administered the wrong medication that made him unconsciousness leading to the death diagnosis.
During the trial last year Narayan had told the court that he was at home and started developing pains on his right side when he was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance.
He said a female doctor attended to him and he informed the doctor that he was allergic to penicillin.
Narayan claimed that the doctor ignored whatever he said and gave him a penicillin injection after which he collapsed and had no memory for almost two hours as he lay unconscious in a hospital bed.
Narayan said that when he gained consciousness, he saw his relative’s around him who were crying.
He said his relatives informed him that the doctor had told them that he had died.
However, the defence said that the doctors had never declared him dead.