Additional charges against Vilikesa Soko assailants
February 5, 2016 1:10 am
A group of policemen and military officers allegedly involved in the death of Vilikesa Soko have been charged with additional offences by the Office of Director of Public Prosecutions.
DPP Christopher Pryde says this is based on a review of the case.
Manasa Talala, Seruvi Caqusau, Kelevi Sewatu, Penaia Drauna, Filise Vere, Viliame Vereivalu, Jona Davonu, Pita Matairavula and Senitiki Natakasavu have been charged with attempted rape and 2 counts of sexual assault.
The State alleges that the nine accused sexually assaulted Vilikesa Soko and another individual who was arrested with Soko.
FBC News has withheld the name of the second victim to protect his identity.
The DPP’s office has also applied to revoke the bail for all accused persons due to the serious nature of the additional counts and concerns regarding possible interference in the prosecution.
Pryde says he is extremely concerned that a number of these accused officers have been reinstated to the Police Force after they had been suspended as this represents a real risk of interference with the state’s case.
He adds that it is unacceptable for police officers charged with indictable offenses to remain active in their positions whilst the matter is proceeding through the courts.
Pryde says he now has no choice but to seek to have the officer’s bail revoked so that they may be remanded in custody for the duration of the proceedings in order to protect the integrity of the prosecution case.