58 meningococcal cases reported so far this year
May 4, 2018 1:22 am
Fifty eight cases of Meningococcal disease has been reported to the Health Ministry from January to April.
Health Minister Rosy Akbar has confirmed this adding from these cases, 24 are laboratory confirmed and 34 are suspected cases.
Akbar says thirty eight cases were from the Central Division, seventeen from the Western Division, two cases from the north and one from the Eastern division.
All confirmed cases were below the age of 19 and Akbar says there have been no deaths for the last five weeks and this is due to the massive awareness that was created.
“Indeed with no debts recorded in the last five weeks it shows that the general public have been very responsive to the awareness messages conveyed through various communication channels and I would like to thank you all for that for being part of the awareness program.”
Meanwhile the four confirmed deaths for Meningococcal disease this year were all below the age of five.