1.54m tonnes of cane crushed so far: Chetty
November 28, 2018 3:43 am
The Sugar Cane Growers Council has confirmed that so far 1.54 million tonnes of sugarcane have been crushed.
Council chief executive, Sundresh Chetty, says Lautoka has crushed 92 percent of the sugarcane produced.
Rarawai has crushed 86 percent, whereas, Labasa has crushed 94 percent.
He is also urging sugarcane farmers to harvest the left over cane before the end of crushing season.
“I am urging the growers to put in extra effort to ensure that we take out all the standing cane that is out on the field as assistance is provided where ever possible by the Sugarcane Growers Council and FSC.”
Chetty says so far Penang area has harvested 96 percent of the cane.